Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Local Thanksgiving

While our entire Thanksgiving menu was not local, most of the dishes were:

Lentil & Golden Squash Pot Pie (all but lentils from the CSA)
Glazed Turnips & Apples (all CSA)
Delicata Squash Soup (all CSA)
Hot Chai (Boulder Bhakti Chai, homemade soymilk)
Pumpkin Pie (all but the crust from CSA & local ingredients)
Beer (local Boulder Beer)

The Lentil & Golden Squash Pot Pie has been the Thanksgiving centerpiece for 11 years now. We also have an Oregon Tofurkey, which is a tradition, but it's the pot pie that gets the rave reviews. Happily, this year I divided the recipe into 2 pyrex pans, so we have an entire other meal to enjoy in a few weeks' time. Yum!

The Glazed Turnips & Apples are so fantastic - and without them I'm afraid my turnips wouldn't fare well. We eat this dish once or twice a week throughout the winter (alternating it with mashed turnips & potatoes) and manage to polish them off before they wilt (like they did our first year in the CSA before I understood how to store and properly use the excess beets, turnips and potatoes).

The Delicata Squash Soup recipe is actually one for an acorn squash, but I've found that any sweet squash will do. We had an abundance of delicata in the share and I was happy to use it - delicata doesn't last as long as the others. It was creamy and delicious with it's own roasted seeds sprinkled on top. Mmm...

The pumpkin pie is a family recipe (lots of ginger is the secret ingredient that makes this pie stand out!) The pumpkin was from the CSA but I chickened out of making my own crust. Next year!! I love Pumpkin Pie.

The Bhakti Chai and Boulder Beer rounded out the meal and there is plenty left over - always a treat.

I will share recipes for these dishes soon. They are delicious, easy, and quick to prepare. What else can you ask for? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment