Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving Lentil-Squash Pot Pie

This recipe has been tweaked off and on for 15 years. It has its roots in my very first vegetarian cookbook, Sunset Complete Vegetarian Cookbook, that I purchased in 1994. The pictures are beautiful and I've nearly worn this copy out, trying and enjoying most all the recipes. This one is a stand-out though. Here it is with my revisions.

2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 TBSP ginger, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1.5 cups water
2 cups brown or green lentils, rinsed and drained
6 cups vegetable broth
about 3 pounds cubed squash - keep with one variety. (butternut, banana, Hubbard, delicata etc.)
Pastry for 2-crust 9-in pie
1 TBSP beaten egg

1. Crush 1st 3 spices in mortar and pestle. Add to large 5-6 qt pan with next 4 ingredients + 1/2 cup water.

2. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until veggies are a golden-brown. Add 1/4c water as needed to keep from sticking, up to 3/4 up a cup. This will take 10-15 minutes and is worth it!

3. Add lentils and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, covered.

4. Add squash and continue to simmer til lentils and squash are soft (about 20 minutes). I usually pre-bake my squash and just add it in when the lentils are soft, to make it easier.

5. Pour into a 3-4 qt casserole. (You can stop here and refrigerate til the next day.)

6. Roll out pastry. Lay over vegetables and over pan. Flute firmly against the rim. Brush with beaten egg. Slash top a few times. If you have extra pastry, cut it into shapes like leaves or hearts to decorate the top of the pie.

7. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes. Makes 8-10 servings.

This has been our Thanksgiving meal for years. I hope it brings you as much joy as it does us!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! Thank you thank you. I'll be trying this out myself very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this to take to a friend's house for a little New Year's gathering. My house smells outrageously yummy! Just took a little taste test! Yummers....
    Thanks, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete