Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Monday's Dinner: Crockpot

On Mondays, Paul takes the kiddos to school. I volunteer in Sam's class at 11, so I have approximately 3 hours to myself. Monday is also my rest day, so I don't run (or bike or swim) on Mondays. It is the perfect day to cook. I usually make up a large crockpot meal and a batch of GF pancakes on Mondays. This Monday, I fixed a new recipe for us, but one that used up a whole head of cabbage! It was mild and a little dull, but tasty and filling. I'll make this again, with perhaps a dash of tabasco to liven things up!

Of course, substitute whatever you have on hand. The key for me was using up the cabbage!

All ingredients are from the CSA except the rice, celery seed & enchilada sauce.

1 cup red beans, dried, washed and soaked over night
1 onion, chopped
2 turnips, chopped
4 large carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cabbage, chopped
1 TBSP celery salt (or equal parts sea salt + celery seed)
2 cups water.
3 TBSP red sauce (tomato sauce, pasta sauce, taco sauce, enchilada sauce...)
1 tsp butter

Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. We ate at 6:30pm and it was a bit overcooked.

Serve over rice or pasta or alongside garlic toast or rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment